HomeProtestsPrinter Friendly Version


One of your most important rights as a taxpayer is your right to protest your property value to the appraisal review board (ARB). You may protest if you disagree with the appraisal district value or any of the appraisal district’s actions concerning your property.

1. Overview

1.1. How do I protest the value of my property?

Once we mail notices for the current tax year, protests may be filed using one of the following options:

1.2. I filed my protest. Now what?

If you’ve filed your protest prior to the deadline, you’ve met your obligations at this time. If you’ve filed online, you’ll either receive a settlement offer online or notification that you’ve been scheduled for a hearing with the Appraisal Review Board. Please note that it may take several weeks before you hear anything. 

We have an automated algorithm that reviews cases online and if your property matches certain criteria, that system will make a settlement offer online. Automated offers often arrive quickly, but sometimes that system will also take a while to review things. Please be patient. 

Appraisers will also review cases online and make offers as well. 

You are always welcome to come speak with an appraiser. We do recommend that you come to the office at least a day prior to your hearing date as we can not guarantee the availability of an appraiser on the day of your hearing.  

The appraisers work diligently to review all the online protests

1.3. Can I discuss my property value with an appraiser?

Yes, this is highly recommended. We have appraisers available to discuss your property value. Arriving at the office at least a day prior to your hearing is recommended as we can not guarantee appraiser availability on the day of your hearing. Values are not routinely discussed through e-mail or phone.

1.4. Can I make an appointment to speak with an appraiser?

Not at this time. Informal meetings with an appraiser are on a first-come, first-serve basis. 

During the protest season, you are able to use our Qless system to minimize your wait time in the office. It allows you to get in line online. More information about Qless is available here: https://www.dentoncad.com/qless

1.5. When is the deadline to file a protest?

The deadline to file a protest is 30 days after the appraisal notice is mailed to the property owner. The deadline can be found on the notice of appraised value.

For 2019, the deadline for most people will be May 17th, 2019. 

1.6. I can't figure out Online Appeals. What do I do?

You are always welcome to email a completed protest form to helpdesk@dentoncad.com. 

We'll treat those as a mailed-in protest. 

1.7. Can I have more than one reason for my protest?


Here’s further information about the various reasons available for a protest:

Incorrect appraised (market) value: An available option if you believe the total market value is incorrect. The total market value is derived from sales that are similar to your property located in your neighborhood or close by.

Value is unequal compared with other properties: A possible protest option if you consider the total market value of your property is not equal to similar properties in your neighborhood, taking into account property condition, quality, and location.

Property is not located in this appraisal district: If you feel the property is not located within the boundaries of Denton County, this reason is available.

Exemption was denied, modified, or cancelled: An available option if you feel you did not get the correct exemptions.

Failure to send required notice: Failure to receive the notice of appraised value or notice of a denial of an exemption or ag productivity value could prompt the usage of this protest reason.

Property should not be taxed in: Use this option if you believe your property is not within the jurisdiction of a particular taxing entity. You will need to provide the name of the entity in question.

Ag-use, open space or other special appraisal was denied, modified, or cancelled: This option is available if you believe a special appraisal was not applied properly to the property.

Change of use of land appraised as ag-use, open space, or timberland: An available option if you disagree with a change of use notice that was sent to you for ag rollback taxes.

Property description is incorrect: Property descriptions can be incorrect. Issues with square footage, improvements and the number of bed or baths are typical items considered for this protest reason. Acreage problems are also viable candidates.

Incorrect appraised market value of land under special appraisal for ag-use, open space, or other special appraisal: An available option if you feel there is an incorrect value of the land under special appraisal.

Owner’s name is incorrect: This option is available if the name listed on the property is incorrect. You may also just report this issue through our helpdesk and we’ll do everything we can to get it resolved.

Other: An available option if the protest does not fall under any above.

Please note that not all these options are available through the E-File system at this time.

1.8. What information should I include with my protest?

You should include anything that supports your opinion of value. Examples of information that support your opinion of value would be a closing statement, a recent fee appraisal, photos, estimates of repair, and/or the most recent comparable sales available. In Texas, Appraisal Districts often do not have access to all the available sales information. Providing us accurate sales information leads to more accurate values.

1.9. How do I know if you received my protest?

Search our website for your property. You can search by address, account number, or owner name. Once your protest is received and processed, the detail page for your property will show the following message: This property is currently under ARB review. Please note that E-File is the quickest way to register a protest. It will take several days for us to create your protest from one of the other methods.

2. E-File

2.1. What is E-File?

E-file is an easy and quick way for a property owner to file a protest on-line. All communication regarding your protest will be sent via email. Filing through the E-file system affords you an opportunity to possibly receive a settlement offer online.

2.2. What is my pin number and where can I find it?

The E-File Pin code is an alphanumeric key printed on the front of your appraisal notice under the Owner/Account ID in the upper right of the notice page. Please note that the pin code is case sensitive. 

The pin code is used to create your own username and password to the Online Portal. You only need it for account creation. After your account is created, just login with your username and password. 

2.3. What if I have issues with E-File?

Please report any issues you encounter through the Submit a Request on the sidebar. Filing your protest early makes it much easier to provide timely assistance.

If you encounter issues and it’s close to your protest deadline, you may need to file your protest another way, however. You can file your protest through our helpdesk or by just emailing helpdesk@dentoncad.com. It’s always best to include the scanned and completed protest form, but at a minimum you must identify yourself and your property and communicate that you're protesting.

Please be aware that protests filed through the email or the helpdesk will be treated as mailed in protests and no online settlement offer will be possible.

2.4. Will I be made an offer if I file a protest through E-file?

Filing through E-File does not guarantee an offer will be made, however filing early in the protest period increases your chances of receiving an online settlement offer. We strive to make as many online settlement offers as possible.

2.5. What happens if an offer is made through E-File?

E-File settlement offers are a one-time offer and must be accepted at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled ARB hearing. Back-and-forth negotiations of value are not possible online. Those types of negotiations should occur in a face to face meeting with an appraiser. If you reject the E-File offer you will need to proceed with the scheduled ARB hearing.

2.6. Can I submit my evidence through E-File?

Yes, submitting your evidence is crucial. You should submit your evidence as soon as possible.

Offers can sometimes be generated quickly online, especially early in the protest season, but submitting your evidence after an offer has already been made will not result in a revised offer. You will need to come to the District to discuss your property with an appraiser in a face-to-face meeting or attend your scheduled ARB hearing if you disagree with a settlement offer.

Typically, the E-File system will register your protest within a few minutes, which will then unlock your ability to upload evidence. If the upload evidence functionality is not available, please wait an hour and try again. Once your protest is registered, the system will send you an email confirming the creation of the protest. Our website will also display a notice that your property is under ARB review.

2.7. What should I submit as evidence?

You should include anything that supports your opinion of value. Examples of information that support your opinion of value would be a closing statement, a recent fee appraisal, photos, estimates of repair, and/or the most recent comparable sales available. In Texas, Appraisal Districts often do not have access to all the available sales information. Providing us accurate sales information leads to more accurate values.

2.8. When will I receive District evidence?

Please be patient. There are only a handful of appraisers to deal with thousands of protests. They work as quickly as possible to ensure everyone gets heard.

We process evidence in batches every day, but it may be several days before your account is processed. 

3. Appraisal Review Board

3.1. What is the Appraisal Review Board?

The ARB is an independent panel of citizens within the County. The ARB helps settle disputes between the appraisal district and property owners.

3.2. What type of hearings are available?

Several hearing types are available.

In person - Please arrive at or before your scheduled time. You will check in at the front and be seen by the ARB when they are available. Uploading any electronic evidence you have at https://www.dentoncad.com/evidence or through the online appeals website (https://appeals.dentoncad.com) will expedite the process. Any evidence presented to the ARB will need to be kept as part of the property’s permanent record, so please do not bring in photos on your phone or tablet. Upload those before arriving at the office.

Telephone conference call - Please provide your phone number on the protest form. You will need to submit any evidence with a written affidavit mailed or delivered to the ARB before the hearing begins. You will need to call the number provided in the letter at the scheduled time to be placed in line. Once the ARB is available for your hearing, they will call you to begin the hearing. The written affidavit will allow the ARB to proceed with your case in case the call is disconnected or can’t be completed.

A written affidavit - This option will allow you not to be present for the hearing. A written affidavit will need to be submitted prior to the hearing along with any evidence you would like to be presented. The affidavit will be read to the board with any evidence submitted. You can find the affidavit form on our website: https://www.dentoncad.com/forms-and-downloads#search=Affidavit

If you filed a protest through E-File you will receive an email with information on how to view your hearing date and time on the E-File website. ARB hearing dates and times are also posted on the detail page of your property on our website. If you filed the protest through any means other than E-File you will be mailed a letter with information on the hearing date and time.

3.3. How Can I Reschedule my Hearing?

Click Submit a Request on the following page: https://helpdesk.dentoncad.com

Choose the category ARB reschedule and please identify your property and provide as much information as possible. 

Alternatively, you may schedule and reschedule yourself through the Online Appeals portal: https://appeals.dentoncad.com 

4. Appraisal Terminology

4.1. What’s the difference between market, appraised, assessed, and taxable value?

The whole concept of market value vs appraised vs assessed vs taxable value is pretty confusing! Let’s work through it.

**Market value** is the value at which a property will sell for on an open market. There are caveats to that definition, but that's the basic, easy to understand version.

**Appraised** value almost always equals market value, unless special or agriculture valuation is involved.

**Assessed** value is the appraised value minus any homestead cap reductions.

**Taxable** value is the amount you pay taxes on. Taxable value is assessed value minus any exemptions applied to your property.

4.2. What is the Notice of Appraised Value?

The notice of appraised value communicates your property’s value as well as any exemptions that apply to your property.

4.3. What are the various types of value on the notice?

Structure & Improvement Market Value

This is the appraised value of the structures on your property. A structure is a house, a porch, a storage building, etc.

Market Value of Non AG/Timber Land

The market value of the land that does not qualify for an agricultural productivity valuation.

Market value of Ag/Timber Land

The market value of land approved for agricultural productivity valuation.

Productivity value of Ag/Timber Land

The value based on the land’s capacity to produce.

Market value of Personal Property/Minerals

The market value of business personal property that is used for the production of income. Machinery and office equipment fall into this category. Mineral value is the value derived by surface mining or real property interest in oil or gas.

Total Market Value

The value obtained by adding up the categories of value applied to your property. Most properties will just have value in one or two categories, but some properties may have value in all of them.

Productivity Value  of Ag/Timber Land

The value based on the land's capacity to produce. This value is included in the taxable value. 

Assessed Value

For residential property, assessed value is your appraised value minus the homestead cap. You can read more about the homestead cap in the exemptions section of our help section. 

Taxable Value

Taxable value is the value you pay taxes on. This value is your assessed value minus any exemptions applied to your property. 

5. Agents and Multi-Owners

5.1. What is the best way to file a protest(s)?

For agents, the best and most efficient way to file a protest is through the online portal.

For multi owners, it is best to include all properties on the protest form so that they are scheduled together. Multiple properties can be tied to your online portal account, so you can E-file on any or all of your properties as well. Instructions for adding additional properties are available here: https://harrisgovern.help/product-guides/pacs-8-0-help-documentation/tx-appraisal/tx-online-appeals-e-file/ Look for the Managing Pins section. 

5.2. Can I send someone else that isn't an agent to represent me for the ARB hearing or informal review with an appraiser?

Yes, but please make sure they have a signed authorization letter. Fill out the Non-Agent Representation form and send it with whoever will be representing your property.

5.3. How do I add or remove agent authorization?

Typically, an agent will send you a form granting them authority to represent you. The agent will then file that authorization with the Appraisal District. Keep in mind that if you do not put an expiration date on the Agent Authorization form, the agent will maintain authority until we are notified by you or the agent in writing to have the authority removed.

5.4. Where can I find the non-agent representation and agent forms?

You can find the necessary forms on our website:

Appointment of Agent (AOA): https://www.dentoncad.com/forms-and-downloads#search=50-162

Revocation of Appointment of agent form: https://www.dentoncad.com/forms-and-downloads#search=Revocation

Non-Agent Representation: https://www.dentoncad.com/forms-and-downloads#search=Non-Agent

If you are unsure if you have an agent or not, look for the agent history section on your property’s detail page. The forms are also available for download from this page as well. 

5.5. Can I set up an appointment to meet with an appraiser?

For agents and property owners will more than 10 properties, please use our helpdesk to request an appointment time with an appraiser. Non-agents and owners with less than 10 properties should use our queuing system for informal appraiser meetings.